Official Souvenir Program Book

January 1 – December 31, 1988

Back to previous sectionForward to next sectionReturn to Table of Contents

From the time Hampton Academy became a High School in 1885 until the last class was graduated in June 1958, 13 men held the title of Principal or Headmaster. One, Bruce E. Russell, served in that capacity for 27 uninterrupted years. Professor Jack Sanborn resigned as Principal in 1897 for “health considerations” and was given a year’s leave of absence by the Board of Trustees. He served a total of 15 years.

According to the Hampton Town Report for the year ending January 31, 1916, Mr. Coleman, a submaster at Somerville (Mass.) High School, “volunteered to substitute” as Headmaster in 1915 until the position could be filled. Another acting Principal was a Mr. Douglas who helped out late in the 1906-07 school year. There may also have been an acting Headmaster after Russell H. Leavitt resigned in mid-term to become High School Agent for the State. In any case, his successor, Kenneth E. (“Spike”) Tyler, assumed the duties of Headmaster on February 28, 1927. A Dartmouth graduate, Mr. Tyler was chosen from among 25 applicants.

Before 1885, the chief instructor (and sometimes the only faculty member) was variously called the Preceptor or Principal. After 1885, he was known as the Principal or Headmaster. According to graduation programs, Town Reports and report cards, the title “Principal” held until about 1915-1920 when “Headmaster” seems to have come into vogue.** Clement A. Lyon was known by either title. However, from about 1920 until the early l950s, it was strictly “Headmaster.” During the last years of high-school operation, the chief administrator at the Academy was officially the “Principal.” Curiously, the first chief executive at Winnacunnet High School — Edmund A. Tanzi — was known as “Headmaster” for the first year of operation (1958-59).

1st graduating class of H.A.

The Class of 1887 — the first graduating class of Hampton Academy and High School.
(Photomontage from Dow’s History of Hampton, 1893.)

1. George Ervin Garland 8. Grace Reed Williams
2, Annie Elizabeth Lamprey
(Mrs. George E. Garland)
9. Ernest Gowell Cole
3. Howard Garland Lane 10. Alice Sarah Weare
4. Sarah Maria Hobbs
(Mrs. Howard G. Lane)
11. Amos Towle Leavitt
5. Frank Elmer Leavitt 12. Eugene Frank Nudd
6. Ida Pearl Williams 13. Percy Downing Godfrey
7. Caroline Belle Nudd 14. William Eastman Philbrick

The list which follows is intended to be a continuation of the listing (Principals only) published on page 501 of Dow’s History of Hampton. [Where known, the degrees of the incumbents are included.]

Jack Sanborn 1885-1897, 1898-1901
John D. Logan, Ph.D. 1897-1898
Everett G. Loring, A.B. 1901-1904
Clarence L. Mitchell, A.B. 1904-1907
Charles J. Ross, M.A. 1907-1912
William B. Elwell 1912-1915
George H. Bernheisel 1915-1916
Clement A. Lyon, B.S. 1916-1919
Russell E. Skinner 1919-1920
Charles M. Teague 1920-1924
Russell H. Leavitt, B.A., M.A. 1924-1926
Kenneth E. Tyler, A.B. 1927-1931
Bruce E. Russell, B.S., M.A. 1931-1958

[**Perhaps the change from “Principal” to Headmaster” was the result of provisions in the Code of Professional Ethics adopted by the N.H. Teachers” Association on October 22, 1915: “It is desirable that there should be a general professional agreement as to the designations to be given members of the teaching profession in the State according to the functions which they perform.” According to the Code, the head of a Normal School should be called “Director’ the head of an approved secondary school of the first class, “Headmaster’ and a school officer having supervision and control of teachers and pupils in an elementary school or a secondary school below the grade of first class, “Principal.”]

Back to previous sectionForward to next sectionReturn to Table of Contents