Hampton Academy & Winnacunnet High School Alumni Association
65th Anniversary, Historic Souvenir Booklet, 1972

Back to previous sectionForward to next sectionReturn to Table of Contents

(Newspaper Story on the Graduation of the Class of 1897.

Commencement at Hampton Academy

The graduation exercises of Hampton Academy were held Wednesday evening at the town hall, which was filled to over-flowing. The stage was beautifully decked with flowers, potted plants and green, and conspicuously displayed was the class motto “Row, not Drift.” The exercises were marked by the high excellence characteristic of the old-school and were exceedingly interesting.

A class of seven was graduated, composed of Etta Colby Blake, Annie Marilla Page, Edna Cheney Gill, Isabella Bland Leavitt, Arthur Lawrence Young, Winfield Morris Hobbs and Edward Jacob Brown.

Excellent music was furnished by the Music Hall orchestra, Portsmouth.
The overture was Rossini’s “Taneredi,” followed by a march from Sousa’s “El Capitan.” Prayer was offered by Rev. D. W. Downs, who on Sunday had preached the baccalaureate sermon.

Mr. Young then delivered the salutatory, a model part, tender in its tribute to the late president of the school, Dr. Merrill, and delivered in the excellent manner which Mrs. Harris never fails to impart to her pupils.

Miss Gill followed with a bright, original and instructive essay on “Remember Lot’s Wife,” and after a cornet solo by Mr. Pearson, Miss Page gave the entertaining class history.

Mr. Brown then gave in a spirited and most praiseworthy manner a declamation, “Napoleon’s Overthrow,” by Hugo, and at his close a medley was played by the orchestra.

The prophecies were gracefully delivered by Miss Bland, whereupon an oration of great merit was given by Mr. Hobbs. His subject was “Our success is not in falling, but in rising every time we fall.”

On the part of the graduates, the exercises closed with the graceful valedictory by Miss Blake, who did the fullest justice to her part.

Then came music, an eloquent address by Rev. John A. Ross, president of the trustees, the presentation of diplomas and a final march by the orchestra, and the exercises of one of the most delightful commencements in the long history of the school were at an end.

Adeline Copeland Marston ’02, Valedictorian of her Class, taught in Hampton elementary schools for 47 years, retiring in 1954. She served as Alumni Association Secretary for eight years between 1919 and 1927. “Addie” (she changed to “Adeline” about 1912) began teaching in 1907 — the year the Alumni Association was founded.

The one-room district schoolhouse (circa 1854) was moved in 1951 from the north end of Hampton near the North Hampton line at the rear of 893 Lafayette Road to Meeting House Green by the Hampton Historical Society. Restoration took a number of years.

At the Special School District Meeting of April 27, 1955, voters authorized the School Board to name the new elementary school “The Adeline C. Marston School.” Miss Marston helped dedicate the school on February 3, 1957. Also present was one of her former pupils, Norman N. Merrill ’42, Chairman of the Building Committee. The building is located at a cul-de-sac off High Street between Mill and Hobbs Roads (named Marston Way). A sizable addition was constructed onto the school in 1968-69.