Hampton Academy & Winnacunnet High School Alumni Association
65th Anniversary, Historic Souvenir Booklet, 1972

Back to previous sectionForward to next sectionReturn to Table of Contents

In 1940, the historical marker of Hampton’s 1938 Tercentenary Celebration was still emplaced in front of the about-to-be-torn-down Academy building. (The Historical Committee of 1938 was mistaken in attributing the 1810 Academy Charter to Massachusetts instead of New Hampshire, the latter being initially separated from the former in 1680.) [Courtesy of Harold E. Fernald, Jr. ’49]

The above plaque reads as follows:
1638 — 1938
Chartered by the General Court of Massachusetts
June 10, 1810,as the Hampton Proprietary School, an
academy building was erected near the Tuck Memorial,
burned in 1851, a second building was erected, which
by the use of 80 yoke of oxen, in 1883, wasw moved to
its present site and is still in use as the home of

Samuel A. Towle ’22, Financial and Recording Secretary to the Board of Trustees, and member of the School Building Committee, turns the first spade in the late summer of 1939. The photos below, showing the progress of construction, are courtesy of Sam.



The day the old Academy was torn down, August 1940.