Hampton Academy & Winnacunnet High School Alumni Association
65th Anniversary, Historic Souvenir Booklet, 1972

Back to previous sectionForward to next sectionReturn to Table of Contents


The 1852 Academy is razed, August 1940.

After the siding and boarding were removed, the pegged oak-beam frame was dismantled. The greater part of a lectern — still in use at the Academy Junior High — was constructed from one of those oak timbers by Dean B. Merrill, member of the Building committee for the 1939-40 Academy school building, and a School Board member.
[Photos by David F. Colt, Jr. ’42, courtesy of Harold E. Fernald, Jr. ’49]