Official Souvenir Program Book

January 1 – December 31, 1988


Back to previous sectionForward to next sectionReturn to Table of Contents

40 Park Avenue

{From the 1961 “Old Home Day” program}


One Room School House
The last one-room school house in Hampton, NH

The last Hampton District one room school house will be one of the many historical points of interest open to the public during Old Home Day Saturday, August 5, 1961.

Several years ago the Hampton Historical Society acquired the school house, which stood at the rear of 893 Lafayette Road near the North Hampton town line, and moved it to its present site on the Meeting House Green at the Tuck Memorial, 40 Park Avenue.

The school house has been restored with authentic school furniture, books, and equipment covering several eras and showing the educational growth of the Hampton schools since 1750.

Included in the school house are one and two pupil desks used from 1750 to the modern schools of today. Many subject matter books are available for the public inspection and examination. Also on display are many records and pictures of the Old Academy Building as well as the Academy School flag.

The place of the small one room district school houses in the educational and academic history of Hampton and her sister towns has been both a rich and interesting one. Between 1810 and 1830, in New Hampshire, the “District School Houses” were taking the place of the “Boarding Teacher,” “Dame-Kept School,” “The Moving Teacher,” and the “Moving School House.” (Schools were many times moved from one section of the town to another by three to five teams of oxen as the school age population shifted from one area of the town to another). District school houses were built throughout the state to satisfy the needs of the various area of the state. It was not uncommon for several neighboring towns to send a group of their children to the same district school house.

In 1885, the New Hampshire Legislature voted to “abolish the local area district school houses and to place all schools under the towns themselves in a single Whole Town School District.” Between 1855 and 1860, Hampton built several of these school buildings, one of which is this school house on the Meeting House Green. All traces of the other school houses have disappeared as they have either burned, been torn down or sold to become part of a business store.

The work of the restoration of the school house is expected to go on for several more years.

Back to previous sectionForward to next sectionReturn to Table of Contents