A Pictorial of the Hampton Marshes

Compiled by John M. Holman,

Hampton History Volunteer

Lane Memorial Library

1963 -- Salt Marsh Conservation Park

Salt Marsh Note Paper from the Tuck Museum, ca. 1972
Sketch by Richard Montgomery -- 1967

Haying the Hampton Salt Marshes are
(l. to r.) Gilman Mace, George Dearborn & Herbert Blake

The hay is piled on wooden stakes called "Staddles" to allow drying.
The "Hey-boy" in lower right has the "Switchel Water"
or "Swigum" for the thirsty men.

Building a Hay Cock on Staddles on the Marsh, Ca. 1900.
Hot work! "Heyboy, bring us some Switchel water!"