Hampton News

Mrs. E. D. Berry has been confined to her bed for a week with a bad cold. Mrs. Vianna Marston is also quite ill.

The many friends of Miss Alice Marston will be pleased to know that she has returned home in time for Thanksgiving.

Mrs. Augustus W. Locke announces the engagement of her daughter, Julia, to Lieut. Arthur Ossian Dewey, chaplain of the 32nd Artillery Regiment, U. S. A., and of her daughter, Harriet, to Lyle Stevens Drew, Officers’ Training Camp, Louisville, Kentucky.

Mrs. Charles H. Raymond has entered the employ of an electrical manufacturing establishment in Newburyport, Mass.

Excavation for the foundation of the new 100 x 50 foot lumber shed for J. A. Janvrin began Monday.

On Monday evening, Dec. 9, there will be a “Get-together” meeting in the town hall for the purpose of enabling the new superintendent of schools, Brooks, of Exeter, and the teachers of our public schools meeting and becoming acquainted with the parents of pupils. The meeting will begin about 7:30 and will be informal. All parents are cordially invited to be present.

Station Agent Sprague has been authorized by the Government to employ an additional baggage master. For government employees eight hours is a day, and under that schedule the duties of the present baggage master, Arthur Young, end at three o’clock, p. m., and the extra man will go on duty at that time and work until 7:45 p. m. Charles F. Adams is to do the work for the present, beginning next Saturday.

The Union office will be closed on Thursday, Thanksgiving Day, and on the following day.

Mr. and Mrs. O. H. Whittier have left Hampton to take up their residence in Raymond. Mr. Whittier’s feeble health is the cause of their leaving to be with near relatives and friends. Mr. Whittier, as proprietor of the hotel for upwards of 50 years, has been a well known figure wherever seen for many years and since the burning of the hotel two years ago he has never been the same. Mrs. Whittier, too, will be greatly missed in the church and Sunday School, in the Woman’s Club and other social activities, where she took her share of the work and responsibility, always bringing to each and every one capable and efficient service.

Mrs. Pauline Garland has been a guest the past few weeks of Mr. and Mrs. George L. Garland in Gloucester.

The Monday Club met on the 18th. The program consisted of the life and works of Beethoven, given by Mrs. Sprague, and the life and works of Schumann, given by Mrs. Thompson. Piano selections from both composers were played by Miss Powers, Mrs. Sprague and Mrs. Lane. The club voted to make an appropriation to the Children’s Aid and Protective Association of New Hampshire. Refreshments were served by the hostess, Mrs. S. M. Lane.

William L. Redman and family left Hampton on Tuesday of last week for St. Petersburg, Fla., where they will pass the winter.

The Dyer and Stickney families have moved into the house vacated by the Whittiers.

Tuesday morning was the coldest of the season, the mercury registering only 15 degrees above zero at 7:00 a.m.

The friends of Russell and Leslie Leavitt, sons of Mr. and Mrs. Frank E. Leavitt, well known in Hampton, are well and safe in Beirut, Syria, where they have been engaged in missionary work for several years, going there just after graduating from Dartmouth. A letter recently received by Mr. Leavitt, dated Oct. 6, was the first word received by the parents of the young men during the past 18 months. It was written between the time the Turks and Germans left Beirut and French and English came in and were sent out by Egyptians who had chartered a sailing vessel to reach Alexandria, after having been detained in Beirut since the began four years ago. After a long and painful illness, which was borne with the utmost patience and Christian fortitude, Mrs. Ann Victoria Glidden was released from her sufferings. She was born in Newport Vt., and was almost 79 years old. Her maiden name was Adams, and on her mother’s side was a descendant of Hampton lineage. The Gliddens’ people came from Meredith in this state. Since living in Hampton Mrs. Glidden has made many friends. Of a gentle, lovable disposition, to know her was to love her. Mrs. Glidden met with an accident before coming to Hampton, nearly ever after being obliged to use crutches, and often she suffered greatly, but she always bore it cheerfully. She lost her husband ten years ago, a loss which she felt keenly. She had two children, Alexander C., with whom she passed her last days, and Belle, wife of Mr. Fred Perkins. She had the most tender care from her son’s wife as well as from her own daughter.

The funeral was held at the home on Thursday. The services were conducted by Rev. James McLaughlin and Rev. F. M. Buker. Rev. and Mrs. Long sang sweetly the same hymns that were sung at Mr. Glidden’s funeral, and Mr. McLaughlin also attended his funeral. The floral offerings were beautiful. Besides many from friends and relatives here and from many other places there was a very beautiful spray of lavender and white chrysanthemums from the Advent church. Her memory is that of a true Christian woman who has gone to her heavenly home.